Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thinking on the Beach





How Life Changes

When we got to the cottage today, we could not find the key, and so we had to make do until we could get in touch with the owners. We were in no rush so Erin and I decided to go down to the lake.

We had a bottle of wine but no glasses, no problem, just take the whole bottle. As we were sitting on the beach enjoying life, my oldest daughter comes running down, to the lake and says that she has to go to the bathroom. We are in the middle of nature for goodness sakes, find a tree and go. At least we have toilet paper and garbage bags. I had spoken the unthinkable to her. These kids today are so spoiled. In an era of fast pace, technology and everything received on Demand they expect you to drop life, get in the car, and drive them to the nearest Tim Horton’s where they can not only use a luxurious toilet, but they can grab an iced cappuccino while they are at it.

When I was a kid, I was lucky if I got a drive to the town store once a week to get candy.

It happened again yesterday, I was walking by a toy store and the kids asked if they could go in. The found some puppets “marionettes” and asked me how to work it. I showed how the legs and arms moved. They were really fascinated by that. That is what I used to get for Christmas. Now it is a world of Laptops, Playstations , Mp3 players, and cell phones. It really is bizarre that the technology of computer does not faze a child, but a marionette does.

Life has changed so much in just 40 years. We were lucky to get 2 stations at the cottage, and that is IF the cottage even had a Television, and if it did you could be sure that it was black and white and had lines or was all fuzzy and you could not see properly.. Now here I am typing blogs on my laptop.

I often wonder what the next 40 years have in store. Can technology continue to advance at this pace? I don’t think so. What new inventions does the next 40 years have in store? Maybe we will be living like the Jetsons, flying over to our neighbours on some kind of propelled jet. All I know is that we sure have moved light-years away from the stone age of the Flintstones.

No comments: