Sunday, August 31, 2008

A day with Uncle Don



Yesterday I went to Perth, Ontario to take a drive to see my Uncle Don. He has been diagnosed with Cancer and asked if I would come for a visit before he leaves this earth.

I was dreading the drive there, which is 250 miles each way. My daughter and friend Martina offered to come along for the journey. That made the trip much more enjoyable, and I was able to stay awake.







Surprisingly I had a great time. Uncle Don has a twisted sense of humor and kept us amused with his stories of chasing after young girls. He told me funny family stories of people that have passed on. The funniest one was about my father and his friend George Schluman, who hitchhiked from Toronto to California without a penny in their pockets. Another funny story was my father's advice to "spend all your money, because I am going to be a millionaire."

It appears that my father has the same care-free adventurous spirit that I have and that the apple really does not fall far from the tree.

I knew we made Uncle Don very happy with out visit. He was smiling and laughing, and death seemed years away.




When we left, we decided to go downtown and see what this town had to offer. It is gorgeous. It looks like a little English Hamlet with it's canals and pubs lining the main street.



The long dreaded drive was really beautiful and enjoyable. It made me appreciate the truly beautiful country I live in, the friends and family I have and recognize how grateful I am to be alive.

1 comment:

tacogirl said...

looks like a great trip