Friday, August 31, 2007

The Weekend to End Breast Cancer

This is my final week before I start a whole new journey. Next weekend I am walking 60 kilometers (36 miles) to raise money for Breast Cancer. The reason I chose to do this is because I believe that I owe it to my sisters out there that are dying everyday from this disease. We never know when our number will be called, and it is nice to know that people are out there trying to make a difference.

Two weekends ago I was doing a tag day. A tag day is when you sell Breast Cancer items to raise the mandatory $2000.00 you need to do this walk. A woman came up to me and she had a scarf covering her head where her hair used to be, and said "thank you for walking for me, I have Breast Cancer, and am currently undergoing radiation." I started to cry on the spot. It made it so worthwhile to be doing this.

This is my first year attempting the walk, and I am getting rather excited for it. SO many people have told me it is a life changing event. On one part of the walk, we stop at The Princess Margaret Hospital (the Cancer Treatment Hospital ) here in Toronto. I can not even begin to imagine how inspired and motivated I will be when I see the patients lined up on the street cheering us on. They are the real heroes!

I will update you all on how this walk affects me personally. Please send me well wishes and cheer me on, if in thought only as I walk the most important walk of my life.

If you would like to Donate to help me reach my $ 2000.00 goal the following link will take you right to my page.
http://www.endcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Toronto2007?px=1973880&pg=personal&fr_id=1202

Peace

Joanne

No comments: