Sunday, August 5, 2007

The Peaceful Warrior

Tonight with a few hours on my hands, I went to the local video store and watched a movie I have been meaning to see for months. The Peaceful Warrior, based on the book by Dan Millman is definitely an add on to my favourite films.

I have read all of Dan Millman's books in the past, but needed a refresher course in how to be a warrior. Some of the messages that resonated with me during the film were so powerful that I just had to get out my pen and paper and start jotting down and thought I would share them with you.

Knowledge is knowing something, wisdom is doing it.
You need to take out the trash ( trash is the stuff we store in our minds)
Trash is the only thing keeping you from what matters
Sometimes you have to lose your mind before you can find it
Give up addictions
the first step in being a warrior is knowing that you will not know all things
Everything has a purpose ~~~ even hardships~~~ and it is up to you to find it
There are No Ordinary Moments
Service to others is KEY
A warrior does not give up what he loves
There is no stopping or starting there is just NOW
The journey is what brings the happiness, not the destination.

That last statement is hard to really comprehend fully. I mean, I get it, BUT DO I GET IT?
I will have to work on that concept more. TO remind myself to be happy in the moment, to do what counts in the moment, and not worry so much about the long term, the final goal.

It is a hard hurdle to get over. I seem to always be thinking that when I get something accomplished, when something happens that I will be happy. Rather than being happy right now. Enjoying the film in the moment. Enjoying the warm weather in the moment.

Tomorrow I will see if I can remind myself throughout the day to enjoy the moment. When I laugh to enjoy it. I think that this will take some serious training, but it seems so worth it. Because NOW is all we really have isn't it?

No comments: