Monday, March 17, 2008

Back to the Grind

Time is flying by, and there are so many things to do. I am never bored. Been spending time writing my book, doing workshops, university studies and meditating.

Last week I had another Dream Rebuilding Presentation at the Shelter. The women really seem to enjoy it. I notice that anytime spent not worry about the crisis they are in is a positive step forward. I enjoyed listening to a woman that always dreamed of driving and having her license. She was able to find a car in a magazine, cut it out and regain that as one of her future goals.
I also met another woman that was inspiring to me. She wants to return to school and become a P.S.W. I sure hope that she will continue on that path. She will do a wonderful job at helping those that are sick and frail. It is interesting to see how a a few magazines, a pair of scissors and some glue can bond a group of women together, and get them thinking in a forward direction.
I am back at the shelter again in April to do another presentation. I really enjoy my 2 hours there, and as nervous as I once was, I seem to be coming more confident in my abilities to facilitate a group of people.

My daughter returned from Italy two days ago, and said it changed her life. She is ready to travel now! Already saving for Spain and France. Like mother like daughter I suppose. My youngest daughter is content with a new skateboard and is anxiously awaiting the big melt and spring. She said she is tired of putting on hat and mitts and will be happy when she just needs her short and some running shoes.

It took me a little while to get back into the groove here in Canada. I was stuck on island time. I am just finishing my research paper on the Working Poor in America. Ironically, a country so wealthy and so rich in knowledge can not figure out that there has to be Employer Consortium to eliminate poverty. The answer really does seem simple. The most important thing I learned this week is that in a country like the US and Canada, nobody that is employed full-time, and works all year, should live below the poverty line. It is sad that so many do, and such a huge portion of those are children.

Well ~ it is back to the books, back to the the grind. I am looking forward to finishing up my final year of university and seeing what is next in line.

No comments: