Monday, January 5, 2009

JUST FOR LAUGHS CUBA








Hi Folks, it has been a long time since I wrote.
We went on our family vacation to Belize. The highlight was horseback riding with my children on the beach, touring Varadero on the BEACH BUS, and enjoying the sun and the friendly people.

The funniest experience which my daughter compared to Just for Laughs was out bus riding experience. Since I work for the Toronto Transit, I have a real appreciation for drivers and know how most systems operate.

We went to Varadero on the Beach Bus, and the driver stopped the bus and took some tupperware containers into a restaurant. The kids asked me what he was doing and so I explained that he was likely hungry and getting some food to go. About 5 minutes later he emerged with his food. We started to drive down the main road and the bus driver pulled the bus over again. This time he was at the grocery store. Because we were sitting on the top level of the double decker I was able to see the driver. He was pricing items, and putting them back. At this point I started to laugh and was able to understand why there is no set schedule for the BEACH BUS, just approximately every 20 mins. The driver came back onto the bus a few minutes later and again we were on our way, or so we thought!!! About a mile down the road the driver pulled the bus up to a old mansion style restaurant. To my surprise the driver took his tupperware and made himself comfortable at a table and proceeded to eat his dinner, while the bus was full of people wondering what was going on. The kids and I were laughing so hard that tears were flowing down our cheeks. I thought of how many times when I was a bus driver that I would literally run into a Tim Horton's for a coffee and people got upset. I guess it's different when everyone is on vacation.

I was a little disappointed to see how poorly the staff are paid and the fact that they have to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, for less than I make in a hour. The best part was giving gifts away, they were always so appreciated.

Overall, the vacation was good, but I am much more of a rugged, adventure traveller, rather than be waited on 5 star resort kind of gal. I suppose it depends on the person.

The kids loved it. I will leave you with some great photos.

No comments: