Friday, December 28, 2007

Time for a new job?






So, I am looking at the YMCA's Website, and see the career section and jobs available postings. The old employment counsellor, Joanne, comes back and has overwhelming temptation to see what is out there. It is a habit I have never quite broken. I am always watching the job market, learning about it and forwarding friends emails of jobs that they are best suited for. I guess you could say it is a hobby of mine.




While I am in the website, I see the perfect job for me. A Job Counsellor........the best news is it is hours I like, and a 5 minute driving distance for me. I look over the qualifications, and don't you know, I have each and every one that they are asking for. I have not applied for any jobs in more than four years. It is scary you know, to think of the option of giving up something that is so familiar, but oh so stable and secure.




I consider it carefully, good benefits, free Y membership, working in an organization that values health, caring, respect, inclusiveness and responsibility. The other benefits of working there are: getting a workout either before or after work, and the commute..... then I think of the most important piece.... this is an INTERNATIONAL organization, which means, international opportunities.




It didn't take me long to write a cover letter, and change the resume, to retract the bus driving skills, and highlight the social work skills. It even felt natural. I am a born social worker. I am here to help others, to help the less fortunate, and spread acceptance. That is my passion.




I also thought of the incident 20 years ago, when I lived in the YWCA. I told a social worker that was working in the shelter that I wanted to do that one day. She laughed at me and said " I don't think so." Wherever you are, thanks for the motivation. I am not sure that is what you intended, but tell me I can't do something and I will just show you that I can. I have worked in 5 shelters now, and I am one of the best counsellors I can think of, not to toot my own horn, but that is where my heart is. I often repeat the old saying,




"If you work at a job you love, you will never work a day in your life"




So today I will apply for the job. I send a prayer with it that if it is the right job for me, don't let the opportunity pass me by.


No comments: